Commissioned as Navy Section Base 9 in 1917, this training center stands on the site of a former amusement park that bordered the Atlantic Ocean a few miles east of Cape May. Dirigibles, submarines and minesweepers were based here during WW1. The base was used by Coast Guard patrol boats and cutters to chase rumrunners during Prohibiton in the 1920s, and protected the coastline from German U Boats during WW2. The Coast Guard took over thr facility in 1946 and in 1948 the base became the only recruit training center in the country, today graduating more than 4000 recruits per year. By Joseph E. Salvatore, MD and Joan Berkey.
All sales final. No returns or exchanges. All proceeds benefit the Wildwood Historical Society.
$21.99 Regular Price